Learn how to acquire photogrammetric image sets and how to produce scientific 3D documentation with demonstrable accuracy.
You will leave with practical experience using equipment, image capture setups, and software to build 3D content. More…
SOLD OUT: September 19–22, 2016
JUST ADDED: November 14–17, 2016
Can't make these dates? Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get on our “interested” list
“It was fantastic and a pleasure to work with people who are so in touch with the needs of conservators.”—Trainee, CHI Studio, San Francisco
“Great class on a complex topic. I would definitely recommend this to my colleagues.”—Trainee, CHI Studio, San Francisco
|Learn how to use highlight RTI to create digital representations of various objects.
You will leave with the ability to implement the digital imaging workflow, including steps to capture, process, and view RTI digital representations. More…
Next class: to be announced.
Interested? Send email to email@example.com
“Great balance between lectures and practical skills!”—Trainee, CHI studio, San Francisco
“Excellent balance of applied practice, i.e., using studio and photographic methods, techniques, and software. An energizing and inspiring week!”—Trainee, Buffalo State College
|Our training/consulting can come to your site!
CHI experts can deliver a 4-day training class in RTI or photogrammetry (or both)—optionally with consulting services—at your institution for groups of up to 15 people.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org with an inquiry or a proposal for on-site expertise using the latest digital imaging techniques. More…
“I learned a ton. Liked the balance of lectures and time to work in small groups on hands-on projects.”—Trainee, Worcester Art Museum
“Superb—well organized and taught by skilled, dedicated leaders.”—Trainee, Museum of Modern Art, New York
|Sign up for our next workshop!
Whether you're an archaeologist, photographer, or staff at a museum or library, you'll learn about digital imaging techniques in conservation and education.
You will see examples of RTI applied to museum objects, paper collections, and archaeological sites. More…
“Great overview of sophisticated ideas that can be applied easily and professionally.”—Attendee, CHI studio, San Francisco
“The workshop was so engaging! It felt like an RTI Sampler, piquing my interest in the four-day class.”—Attendee, CHI studio, San Francisco
Cultural Heritage Imaging (CHI) offers classes and workshops in computational photography techniques used by cultural heritage and natural science professionals to document and research objects and artifacts. We train conservators, archaeologists, museum curators, museum photographers, anyone who wants to learn how to use the low-cost, digital techniques in which CHI specializes. We also train staff at special collections libraries on how to capture paper and bindings.
We hold training sessions on site at excavation sites, museums, and universities, and at the CHI studio in San Francisco, California.
Examples of Past CHI Training Sessions and Workshops
CHI has held training and workshops in association with the following institutions and projects, among others. These links lead to Flickr galleries, blogs, and other forms of detailed descriptions of past CHI training sessions.
- Photogrammetry class at the CHI studio in January 2016 (blog)
- RTI training in October 2015 at Johns Hopkins Archaeological Museum (photos)
- Photogrammetry training in October 2014 at the CHI studio in San Francisco (photos)
- Post about CHI's RTI class by the conservation staff at San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Photogrammetry training in March 2014 at the CHI studio (photos)
- RTI training at New York University, New York, NY (blog)
- RTI class at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY (blog)
- RTI class at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY (blog)
- RTI class at Smithsonian Institution, Museum Conservation Institute, Suitland, MD (blog)
- RTI class at Worcester Art Museum (WAM) Conservation Department, Worcester, MA
- National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos, Ukraine
- National Park Service Center for Preservation Technology and Training (NCPTT), Natchitoches, LA
- RTI Workshop, University of Oxford and Univerity of Southampton, UK
- CAA 2012, Workshop
- Excellence Cluster Topoi and Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Workshop
- Training for Forensics Professionals, San Luis Obispo, CA
- 2013 International Rock Art Congress (IFRAO), Workshop